How to Manage Fatigue from Psoriatic Arthritis
Fatigue is tiredness or exhaustion that leaves a person feeling they do not have enough energy or motivation to function fully in daily life. It can affect various aspects of life, including work, social life and quality of life.
Fatigue is experienced by those with psoriatic arthritis mainly because it is an inflammatory condition. The inflammation can cause fatigue. In people with psoriatic arthritis, the inflammatory process is working overtime because the body is mistaking healthy tissue for diseased tissue.
The following are a few strategies to help manage fatigue from psoriatic arthritis:
- Lead a healthy lifestyle. Eating a varied, healthy die can help you to fight fatigue. Eat plenty of lean protein, whole grains, and fresh fruits and vegetables. In addition, avoiding tobacco and alcohol can also help.
- Ask for assistance. If you are attending public events, don’t be afraid to ask someone else to drive to and from the event. This is beneficial for those who know they will be too tired afterward to drive home safely.
- Manage your time. Good planning, prioritizing accordingly and knowing how to kindly set limits will help.
- Schedule recovery time. Plan time off between major activities to give yourself time to recover from more strenuous activities. Doing this for awhile will allow you to get a sense of how much downtime you need between different types of activities.
- Explain your situation. Make sure your friends and family are aware of your situation in case you have to cancel plans last minute.
- Balance activity and rest. Instead of powering through an hour or more of heavy work, break up active tasks, such as cleaning. You can break up tasks into 10-20 minute segments and rests, or you can do easier activities in between. Resting time can include Internet time, writing, planning your week, reading and enjoying time with your kids.
- Stay active. While it may seem counterintuitive, daily activity can be beneficial for those who suffer from fatigue. Routine exercise increases your body’s natural opiates and provides both energy and improve sleep.
These are just a few strategies on how to manage fatigue from psoriatic arthritis. Contact us today with the link below to schedule an appointment with our doctors!