PRP Therapy, otherwise known as Platelet-Rich Plasma therapy, is the use of injections in a concentrated area of a patient’s own platelets to help heal injured tendons, ligaments, muscles, and joints. It is essentially the use of the patient’s own healing system to improve their musculoskeletal problems.
How to Prepare for PRP Therapy
If you are looking into PRP Therapy it is advisable to be aware of the steps and precautions that should be taken prior to treatment.
- The Week Prior: Do not take any ibuprofen, aspirin, or NSAIDs. Discontinue use of any anticoagulant medications. Discontinue herbs, supplements, or vitamins associated with blood thinning. Ask your doctor if you have concerns about any specific medications or supplements you take.
- The Day Before: Make sure you are well rested, well hydrated, and well fed.
- The Day Of: Make sure you have a good, nutrition rich meal and are well hydrated.
What to expect during PRP Therapy
The procedure is an out patient procedure that should not take longer than 90 minutes. Your doctor will collect a blood sample from you and separate the components of your sample with a centrifuge. The sample of highly concentrated platelets will be re-injected into the site of the injury or pain. Generally speaking, PRP injections are not painful, however depending on the site of the injury or pain area, you may experience some discomfort.
The great thing about PRP Therapy is that there is very little downtime after the procedure. It advisable, as with any type of procedure whether out patient or not, to take some time off and rest. There are specific tips that should be followed:
- Do not touch the injection site for at least 8 hours
- Do not bathe or swim for at least 8 hours
- Do not take any medications, vitamins or supplement unless told otherwise by your doctor
- Do not apply ice or heat at the site for at least 3 days
- Do not apply lotions, oil, or makeup at the injection site for at least 6 hours
- Avoid working out or strenuous activities for at least 3 days
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol for at least three days as these can impede the healing process and the effectiveness of the treatment
- Stay hydrated and make sure you eat nourishing meals
These are just some tips on what you can expect if you decide to do PRP Therapy. If you are thinking about PRP Therapy contact us today with the link below to schedule an appointment with our doctors!